Thursday, August 31, 2006

I got motivated, I got busy thinking, I fell asleep in my office chair…

my brain just said, “Ok, enough of this positive energy crap…I’ll show you!” And I zonked out for about 3 hours. I woke up with cramps in my belly (yeah, it’s that time) and massive cramps in my back.

I had spent a few hours talking to a friend while I worked. He and I discussed how I undersell myself and my talents. I started doing some research (checking other designers sites) and realized that there is a ton of garbage out there masquerading as “high quality” and that I’m way undercharging people. Now, these people could all be on crack and are asking for outrageous fees and aren’t getting squat for customers. But it still doesn’t help me get some balls and charge more. In the interest of doing the right thing for the design community, perhaps I’ll rejoin the Graphic Artists Guild and price jobs by their guidelines again. I was pricing myself accordingly when I started doing this, I was a beginner and had limited skills and couldn’t charge full price. But now, I’m still not incredible but I have a clue, and I have more skills, resources and a bigger portfolio. I’m just shitty at sales. I end up giving away the farm because I can’t stand people to say “no” or whatever horrible thing I expect is going to happen (I have no basis for this, by the way. I couldn’t give you a rational reason for my behavior, even if I tried). So, now I’m trying to suck up, get a backbone, and charge prices like I mean it. I mean, I have friends who are incredibly good artists and they also sell themselves short, but they make enough to pay their bills. They see the bottom line and make sure they hover just above it. It’s always on their mind, they have a plan, they are in control. And I envy them.

Now, as for yesterday…I did think at ballet. I might have come up with a slight thought on a solution while driving home, but it’s still a thought that is formulating. There were too many distractions to really focus on it, I’m gonna try again tonight.

Off to cook…

:)

No comments: