Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I’m back after losing my computer to lightening!!!

In case you hadn’t seen the comments area in the last post I made (I couldn’t get into the blog, it was my only way to leave a message), my house or a tree next to it got hit by lightening last week.  The surge blew out my computer.  Specifically the hard drive, maybe both hard drives, the ethernet card, the router and who knows what else?  The PC was even off and got it’s ethernet card blown.  I went to unplug it last night, I was still stubbornly trying to get something, ANYTHING off of it, and the damned thing zapped me.

So, this wonderful friend who I happen to work for actually sent me money right before the lightening hit (I think, I’m only catching up to what happened when) and I used it to go get myself a Mac Mini.  And let me tell you…this is pretty damned cool!!  (a certain drunken hubby is none too thrilled about this new computer purchase, let me tell you.  He was quite chipper after I told him I’d lost my whole computer.  Also, with the current state of affairs he thinks I shouldn’t spend the money on the puter….but (as I explained to him) this is money I am being paid for work.  If I don’t do the work I don’t get to keep the money and I can’t do the work without the computer.  And just because I’m majorly insecure…am I wrong here?)  I am calling the insurance agent (as soon as he’s actually in his office as he doesn’t seem to return calls) to see about this being covered under our homeowners policy.
I have lost a lot of my files, since my backup disk was the only one working right before the lightening hit. And I’m slowly catching up.  It’s frustrating though, I do hope that I can get the information off that drive recovered.  It would suck to lose all that stuff.

So now I have a new computer…and I’m exhausted.  I stayed up the first night (last night) playing with OS X (Tiger) and widgets (there are tons!) and tonight I’m beat.  I also have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning (5-6 hour drive) and I have to get some rest soon.

Ok, gotta get some stuff done.  I’m still downloading, installing, upgrading, installing…this is never ending! LOL

I’m off to South Florida for 2 days…I’ll be back Thursday afternoon!  Have a great couple of days people!!

:)

No comments: