Friday, March 14, 2008

Tornado Pics

These pictures are of the damage left behind by the tornado that touched down north of us. 

Having grown up in NY and NJ, my husband thinks I’m overreacting when I show my kids what a tornado can do, and I teach them what to do in a “Tornado Warning” and a “Tornado Watch”.  Explaining the sounds a tornado makes, the way it can suddenly suck the air out of a spot so it’s really quiet and still and the way hail proceeds a tornado are things that I was taught while growing up in KC.  Along with regular fire drills, we did tornado drills in school.  As much as I learned to respect tornados, I wasn’t terrified of them.  Being terrified in a tornado is a good way to get yourself, and possibly others, killed.  I also know that they can hit when and wherever the conditions are right and there is no reason to live your life in fear of them.  If they are gonna hit, you can’t stop it.  YOU CAN, however, be prepared.  You can get to a safe place, you can listen, you can be aware and you can try to save your and your families lives.
So, these pics show some of the damage that can occur during a tornado.  It’s sobering, and it’s a good reason to find out where your “safe place” is and take a minute to figure out what you should do in the event they flash that big red “Tornado Warning” banner on your tv.

No comments: