Saturday, May 03, 2008

Tornados and “Holy shit!”

I just took a look at the news, and HOLY SHIT. The headline “Terrifying night gives way to ordeal of cleanup after storms” on KansasCity.com got my attention. I glanced through the article and right away I saw Gladstone was hit by a tornado…I grew up in Gladstone….so I kept reading…Euclid and 77th? Crap! I think that was what used to be the old horse farm behind the first house we lived in in Gladstone. So I google mapped it…and sure enough, that sucker blew up a whole neighborhood less than a mile from my old house. Wow. And the damage was major. It’s heartbreaking to see what it did.

I can’t say I know what it’s like to lose everything like that. I know what it is to be terrified by a tornado. I know what it is to be terrified by a hurricane (or five) and to have had significant damage from hurricanes. But to have your home turned into toothpicks in a matter of seconds…to have your whole world ripped out of your grasp and thrown back at you in a convoluted pile of debris…that is totally inconceivable.  How do you make that better?

Here is the article I found, in case you are interested

No comments: