Saturday, May 03, 2008

It’s officially DERBY DAY!!!!!

Are ya excited?  HUH?  HUH?  Well…I AM!!!!!

Told you I was a horse nut.  There is one thing I enforce around here:  I get approximately 6 guaranteed minutes of silence in this house every year.  2 minutes for the running of the Kentucky Derby,  2 minutes for the Preakness and 2 minutes for the Belmont.  Those are approximate.  I know the actual averages and records and for this purpose…2 minutes works just fine.

So…I was searching for TV schedules so I wouldn’t miss the damned race…at some point, the post time changed from around 5:38 to closer to 6:04…of course, this was a while ago but after actually MISSING a freaking race one year…I’m totally paranoid now.  I happened to have found some incredibly awesome videos of past races on YouTube.  Check these out:

SECRETARIAT - 1973 Kentucky Derby
Kentucky Derby 132 - Barbaro (2006)  (ok, this one had me crying…he was such an amazing amazing horse - and I’m NOT linking to his breakdown video cause I just can’t bear to watch Edgar Prado reacting to the situation or Barbaro holding up his leg)
2007 Kentucky Derby - Street Sense  This was such an amazing trip for Street Sense and Calvin Borel - Watch the rail just open up for them as they work their way from the back of the pack to the front position!

There are a ton more and I’m tired, so….I’ll probably look through more tomorrow, but you can always just check out the related videos yourself ;)


Going to dream of Twin Spires and Post Parades…nite!!

:)

No comments: